The holiday party season can be a source of serious wardrobe woes, but we have plenty of tips to help you inject some festive spirit into your look!
The holiday season is just around the corner, which means one thing: a calendar full of festivities, as well as a calendar full of seasonal sartorial conundrums. Putting together a look for a holiday party can be difficult, but we have put together a handy list of eight tips that we are confident will help you out. Our top recommendation? HAVE A GOOD TIME! This holiday season is all about standing out — and more than a little sparkle — so save your shyness for after New Year’s.
1. Begin with some eye-catching outerwear. It is likely that it will be cold outside when you arrive at your holiday soirees each evening, so a stylish coat is a must-have. It is the first thing people notice, and you can use it to tie your whole outfit together. Make sure it is perfectly fitted — you can always take it to your friendly neighborhood tailor for some alterations — and if you want to up the ante in terms of style, try one with a fashion-forward silhouette or an interesting texture, such as fur or embroidery. Last but not least, you can make your overcoat stand out by adorning it with a broach or cinching it with a belt!
2. ‘Tis the season to shine! There is no better time of year to use glitter than during the holidays. Include a glistening piece in your holiday ensemble, such as a sequined skirt, a metallic blazer, or a cute, crystal-embellished pair of shoes. But be careful not to overdo it; try to keep this trend to one or two pieces per outfit. You do not want to be mistaken for a Christmas tree, do you?
3. Add a splash of color to your look to reflect the spirit of the season. Sure, a little black dress is always a safe bet for any party, but it is a pretty boring option for the holidays. To get into the holiday spirit, try incorporating the season’s popular jewel tones, neons, or acid brights into your outfit!
4. Get on board with the velvet revival. The revival of this ’90s trend can be difficult, but it is ideal for the holidays. Try a dress or coat in the soft, shimmering fabric in rich tones like plum or burgundy — if you are still not convinced, try a pair of velvet shoes or an accessory like a hat or scarf. Hey, if Alexander Wang can pull it off, it is definitely worth a shot.
5. Eye-catching jewelry is essential. If there was ever a time to wear an armful of bangles, a massive bib necklace, or a cocktail ring the size of a doorknob, it is the holidays. Do not be afraid to make a statement with your jewelry; just keep the rest of your ensemble simple.
6. Experiment with a daring, festive beauty look. Fans of a smokey eye, a bold red lip, or a complex up-do, rejoice! We all know that these looks are not for every day, so try something more directional and daring when the holidays arrive.
7. Play around with textures and layers. Simplicity should be reserved for another season; during the holidays, your appearance should be festive and interesting. Give it a shot in leather, lace, faux fur, or all-embellished-everything!
8. Get rid of the denim. You have 11 more months to wear your skinny jeans, so put them away until the party season is over. Instead of denim, try some tapered black trousers or a pair of brightly colored pants. You do not want to come across as too casual!